Automation Testing is a word that is coined quite frequently in the software development world. It is nothing but a software testing technique. Testing in general is a significant part of any software development life cycle(SDLC). The primary goal of testing is to make sure that the developed application is working as intended and is bug-free.
There are two types of testing –
- Manual Testing
- Automation Testing
What is Manual Testing?
Manual Testing is a more primitive process of testing for developed applications and is done manually. It is a set of repetitive tasks being performed by a human, to identify any bugs in the software systems. It is a rather wasteful procedure for humans to keep repeating the same task over and over again. That is where Test Automation comes into the picture.
What is Automation Testing?
Automation Testing is a practice where tests are programmed to run automatically to improve software quality. The primary goal for automation testing is to save money, time, and effort to achieve an optimal result. Some functionalities in software need to be tested repetitively, test automation manages test data, and utilizing results for a high-quality assurance measure. There are many tutorials available online for various automation tools, one example is Selenium tutorial.
Automation Testing Tools –
- Selenium – It is an open-source web automation tool. It can automate across multiple operating systems and browsers. One of the reasons why it is widely used all around the globe and is in high demand. Take a look at Selenium online training, if you are planning a career in automation testing.
- Kobiton – This cloud platform automates mobile and web tests. One of its key features is that it supports parallel testing, and also integrates with popular tools such as GitHub, Jenkins, JIRA, etc.
- TestProject – It is the world’s first free cloud-based test automation platform for mobile, web, and API. It is also community-driven which helps the company’s goal to be forever free and also helps the developer build effective test automation.
- Virtuoso – This AI-driven test automation platform combines Natural Language Processing and Robotic Process Automation and pushes quality assurance.
- Eggplant – This platform is AI-powered as well and views the application from the users’ perspective. It also enables easy maintenance at scale to improve efficiency.
- Subject7 – This cloud-based platform covers web, native mobile, desktop, web service, and more. It is an easy-to-learn tool that boosts productivity.
Advantages of Automation Testing –
- Reduced Expenses – In an automated test environment, you will save money because of fewer resources spent to test the application.
- Saves Time – Testing team will spend less time validating the developed features. It also makes communication with other departments easy and efficient. Any bugs found can be timely dealt with, which can help the business tremendously.
- Faster Feedback – Manual testing takes a while when it comes to the feedback cycle. Whereas, test automation reduces the time and brings faster validations for all the phases in a development cycle.
- Higher Test Coverage – There is a limit to how many tests can be executed when it comes to manual testing. On the other hand, with automation testing, you can spend your valuable time writing new tests instead of wasting your time executing the already done tests over and over again.
- Reusability – With test automation, you can use the developed test suite again and again as per your requirement.
- Improved Accuracy – Testing a complex use case can cause somewhat of a challenge if done manually. After all, faults can occur. Whereas automated testing can give 100% accuracy.
- Production on time – With all bugs identified and corrected at the right stage of the development cycle, you get reduced last minutes stress and on-time product launch.
Automation Testing uses special automated tools to execute test cases and is the best way to improve efficiency, execution speed, and coverage. That makes choosing the right test tools an integral part of the testing process. With this blog, you understood what exactly is automation testing along with different tools and their advantages but it is vital for manual and automation methods to go hand-in-hand for successful testing.